Whole Number Interactive Math Unit | Paper | Grade 4 Grade 5
Stop searching for your number sense lessons. Everything you need to teach, practice, and assess place value, Base 10, rounding, and ordering numbers up to the ten millions place is included in this print-and-use unit. Your planning for your representing numbers unit is already done for you!
This convenient resource includes:
- instructions for how to set up, assess, and use interactive notebooks. It has a version that doesn’t require cutting and gluing if you’re worried about time or fine motor skills.
- complete lesson plans with all the concepts broken down. This is helpful if you need to leave lessons for substitute teachers, your math skills are a little rusty, or the government changed the curriculum and didn’t give you any time to learn how to teach it (shout out to Alberta teachers!)
- student template pages. Our templates include versions that require printing, cutting, gluing, and writing as well as versions that just require printing and writing. Alternative versions are included so you can differentiate.
- practice pages (worksheets) to help practice the concepts or to use for formative assessment.
- proof questions that can be used for formative assessment or exit tickets.
- games and activities to help reinforce concepts, to use for early finishers, or just for some math fun.
- unit test pages. There are a variety of levels so it makes it easy for you to modify for your class. These pages are left plain and simple without grades or levels on them to help with student test anxiety.
- alignment guides for Alberta, British Columbia, and Saskatchewan. Lessons are aligned to each specific curriculum so it’s easy for teachers to know which lessons to teach and what to highlight in each lesson.
- Canadian spellings.
- SI Notation, meaning numbers are written with a space between place value columns instead of a comma. Example 30 000 instead of 30,000.
- metric measurements.
Topics addressed in this unit:
- representing whole numbers from 1 000 to 10 000 000: standard form, expanded form, words, base 10, place value charts
- ordering and comparing whole numbers in sequences or using symbols < > =.
- rounding whole numbers to specific place values or front end rounding.
Ninja Note: Decimal concepts and money concepts will be included in the future revision of the Decimals and Fractions Unit.
This resource aligns with:
Alberta Mathematics Curriculum Grade 4 ©2022
- Alberta Mathematics Curriculum Grade 5 ©2022
- British Columbia Mathematics Curricular Competencies Grade 4
- British Columbia Mathematics Curricular Competencies Grade 5
- Saskatchewan Mathematics Curriculum Grade 4 N4.1
- Saskatchewan Mathematics Curriculum Grade 5 N5.1
This resource supports:
- any Canadian Grade 3-6 math class.
- math classes in the Yukon and Northwest Territories (though it recommended you use the province’s curriculum your territory recommends).
Is there a unit for just Grade 4 or just Grade 5? Yes, you can find the individual grades in our store too. The new bundles will be available soon.
Looking for more units?
This unit and all our Grade 4/5 units are found in a complete Year Long Bundle. It comes with a bonus sequencing guide to help play your whole year.
Whole Number Operations Unit
- Decimals and Fractions Unit
- Statistics and Probability Unit
- Patterns and Algebra Unit
- Time Unit
- Measurement Unit
- Geometry (2D Shapes and 3D Objects) Unit
Need more math?
- Grade 4 Math Worksheets: These are currently under revision to align with Alberta, BC and Saskatchewan.
- Grade 5 Math Worksheets: These are currently under revision to align with Alberta, BC and Saskatchewan.
Need more Number Concepts practice? More are on the way!
- Place Value to 100 000 Worksheets
Place Value to 1 000 000 Worksheets
- Rounding Numbers to 1 000 000 Worksheets
Need a different grade level?
We have other sets for other grades. They have not been updated with the “no cut” version yet, but that is underway.
- Grade 3 (fully updated)
- Grade 4 (new!)
Grade 5 (new!)
- Grade 5/6 (currently under revision)
- Grade 6 (coming soon!)
Ninja Note: This file is a PDF and requires printing for students to use.
Have a question? Before contacting us, check our Frequently Asked Questions page.