Numbers and Fractions Interactive Math Unit | Paper | Grade 3
What if you could have your entire number sense unit planned out for you? Our interactive notebook comes with everything you need to plan, teach, practice, and assess your math class. We give background information and everything you need to explicitly teach concepts for place value, comparing numbers, fractions and Canadian money in your Canadian Grade 3 classroom.
This complete unit includes:
- instructions for how to set up, assess, and use interactive notebooks. It has a version that doesn’t require cutting and gluing if you’re worried about time or fine motor skills.
- complete lesson plans with all the concepts broken down. This is helpful if you need to leave lessons for substitute teachers, your math skills are a little rusty, or the government changed the curriculum and didn’t give you any time to learn how to teach it (shout out to Alberta teachers!)
- student template pages. Our templates include versions that require printing, cutting, gluing, and writing as well as versions that just require printing and writing. Alternative versions are included so you can differentiate.
- practice pages (worksheets) to help practice the concepts or to use for formative assessment.
- proof questions that can be used for formative assessment or exit tickets.
- games and activities to help reinforce concepts, to use for early finishers, or just for some math fun.
- unit test pages. There are a variety of levels so it makes it easy for you to modify for your class. These pages are left plain and simple without grades or levels on them to help with student test anxiety.
- alignment guides for Alberta, British Columbia, and Saskatchewan. Lessons are aligned to each specific curriculum so it’s easy for teachers to know which lessons to teach and what to highlight in each lesson.
- Canadian spellings.
- SI Notation, meaning numbers are written with a space between place value columns instead of a comma. Example 3 000 instead of 3,000.
- metric measurements.
Topics addressed in this unit:
- Ways to represent numbers: standard form, expanded form, words, base 10, place value charts
- Skip counting
- Ordering and comparing numbers
- Rounding numbers
- Simple fractions
- Ordering and comparing fractions (with common denominators)
- Canadian money (English/French notation)
This resource aligns with:
- Alberta Mathematics Curriculum Grade 3 ©2022
- British Columbia Mathematics Curricular Competencies Grade 3
- Saskatchewan Mathematics Curriculum Grade 3
This resource supports:
- any Canadian Grade 2-5 math class.
- math classes in the Yukon and Northwest Territories (though it recommended you use the province’s curriculum your territory recommends).
Looking for more units?
- This unit and all our Grade 3 units are found in a complete Year Long Bundle. It comes with a bonus sequencing guide to help play your whole year.
- Statistics and Graphing
- Patterns and Algebra
- Time and Measurement
Need more Number Concepts?
- Place Value to 1 000 Worksheets
- Place Value to 100 000 Worksheets
- Comparing and Ordering Numbers to 1 000 Worksheets
- Skip Counting Worksheets
- Rounding Numbers to 100 000 Worksheets
- Representing Fractions Worksheets
- Comparing Fractions with Common Denominators Worksheets
- Counting Money to $100 Worksheets
- Aligned worksheet sets for Alberta, BC, Saskatchewan
Get all the worksheets in one giant bundle All the Math Worksheets!
Need a different grade level?
- Number Concepts Math Interactive Notebook Grade 4/5
- Number Concepts and Integers Math Interactive Notebook Grade 5/6
Ninja Note: This file is a PDF and requires printing for students to use.
Have a question? Before contacting us, check our Frequently Asked Questions page.