Number Concepts Math Interactive Notebook Unit | Paper | Grade 3
What if you could have your entire number sense unit planned out for you? Our interactive notebook comes with everything you need to plan, teach, practice, and assess your math class. We give background information and everything you need to explicitly teach concepts for place value, comparing numbers, fractions and Canadian money in your Canadian Grade 3 classroom.
This engaging product includes:
- instructions for how to set up, assess, and use interactive notebooks. It has a version that doesn’t require cutting and gluing if you’re worried about time.
- complete lesson plans with all the concepts broken down. This is helpful if you need to leave lessons for substitute teachers, your math skills are a little rusty, or the government recently changed the curriculum and didn’t give you any time to learn how to teach it (shout out to Alberta teachers!)
- student template pages. Our templates include versions that require printing, cutting, gluing, and writing as well as versions that just require printing and writing. Alternative versions are included so you can differentiate.
- practice pages (worksheets) to help practice the concepts or to use for formative assessment.
- proof questions that can be used for formative assessment or exit tickets.
- games and activities to help reinforce concepts, to use for early finishers, or just for some math fun.
- unit test pages. There are a variety of levels so it makes it easy for you to modify for your class. These pages are left plain and simple without grades or levels on them to help with student test anxiety.
- alignment guides for Alberta, British Columbia, and Saskatchewan. The list of lessons are aligned to each specific curriculum so it’s easy for teachers to know which lessons to teach and what to highlight in each lesson.
- Canadian spellings.
- SI Notation meaning numbers are written with a space between place value columns instead of a comma. Example 3 000 instead of 3,000.
- metric measurements.
- 287 pages.
Topics addressed in this unit:
- Ways to represent numbers: standard form, expanded form, words, base 10, place value charts
- Skip counting
- Ordering and comparing numbers
- Rounding numbers
- Simple fractions
- Ordering and comparing fractions (with common denominators)
- Canadian money (English/French notation)
This product aligns with:
- Alberta Grade 3 Math Curriculum ©2022
- British Columbia Mathematics Curricular Competencies Grade 3
- Saskatchewan Mathematics Curriculum Grade 3
This product supports:
- any Canadian Grade 2-5 math class.
- math classes in the Yukon and Northwest Territories (though it recommended you use the province’s curriculum your territory recommends).
Commonly asked questions:
- Do I have to use all the lessons? No. We have included all the lessons needed for Grade 3 in Alberta, BC and Saskatchewan curricula, but there are some lessons that won’t be needed. See the alignment guide within the unit for specific details. Northwest Territories and Yukon can use the matching curricula.
- Are the templates editable? No, but some have blank spaces so you can write anything you need for your students. Some topics have alternate templates so you can adjust for your class.
- Is this product digital? No, interactive notebooks are paper products that students interact with. Most of the activities won’t work online. We are continuing to explore this option.
- Is this available in French? No, sorry. We teach in English and just haven’t had time to modify it yet. This probably isn’t the right product for you if you need all the student pages in French. We already have someone available to translate it for us if we decide to move forward in French.
- Can this product work with Grade 2? We are not versed in the outcomes for Grade 2, but all of the lessons allow for simplification so you can differentiate for students working below Grade 3. We don’t recommend this product for a Grade 2 class.
- Can this product work with Grade 4? Absolutely. Most of the Grade 4 outcomes are the same topics. You may need to check your specific curriculum to make sure you include the exact level of information (for example, using larger numbers). If you are teaching Grade 4, we recommend the Grade 4/5 set instead.
Looking for more units?
- This unit and all our Grade 3 units are found in a complete Year Long Bundle. It comes with a bonus sequencing guide to help play your whole year.
- Statistics and Graphing
- Patterns and Algebra
- Time and Measurement
- 2D Shapes and 3D Objects
Need more Number Concepts?
- Representing Numbers to 1 000 Worksheets
- Representing Numbers to 100 000 Worksheets
- Comparing and Ordering Numbers to 1 000 Worksheets
- Skip Counting Worksheets
- Rounding Numbers to 100 000 Worksheets
- Representing Fractions Worksheets
- Comparing Fractions with Common Denominators Worksheets
- Counting Money to $100 Worksheets
- Aligned worksheet sets for Alberta, BC, Saskatchewan
Get all the worksheets in one giant bundle All the Math Worksheets!
Need a different grade level?
We have other sets for other grades. They have not been updated with the “no cut” version yet, but that is underway.
- Representing Numbers Math Interactive Notebook Grade 4/5
- Representing Numbers and Integers Math Interactive Notebook Grade 5/6
Ninja Note: This file is a PDF and requires printing for students to use.
Have a question? Before contacting us, check our Frequently Asked Questions page.