Decimals and Fractions Interactive Math Unit | Paper | Grade 5
Stop searching for your fractions and decimals lessons! Everything you need to teach, practice and assess decimals place value, adding and subtracting decimals, rounding decimals, fractions, equivalent fractions, comparing and ordering fractions, and converting decimals to fractions is included in this print-and-use unit. We wrote your whole unit for you!
Get this unit in our Year Long Math Interactive Notebook Unit Bundle!
This all-inclusive resource includes:
- instructions for how to set up, assess, and use interactive notebooks. It has a version that doesn’t require cutting and gluing if you’re worried about time or fine motor skills.
- complete lesson plans with all the concepts broken down. This is helpful if you need to leave lessons for substitute teachers, your math skills are a little rusty, or the government changed the curriculum and didn’t give you any time to learn how to teach it (shout out to Alberta teachers!)
- student template pages. Our templates include versions that require printing, cutting, gluing, and writing as well as versions that just require printing and writing. Alternative versions are included so you can differentiate.
- practice pages (worksheets) to help practice the concepts or to use for formative assessment.
- proof questions that can be used for formative assessment or exit tickets.
- games and activities to help reinforce concepts, to use for early finishers, or just for some math fun. A set of task cards are included for review.
- unit test pages. There are a variety of levels so it makes it easy for you to modify for your class. These pages are left plain and simple without grades or levels on them to help with student test anxiety.
- alignment guides for Alberta, British Columbia, and Saskatchewan. Lessons are aligned to each specific curriculum so it’s easy for teachers to know which lessons to teach and what to highlight in each lesson.
- Canadian spellings.
- SI Notation, meaning numbers are written with a space between place value columns instead of a comma. Example 30 000 instead of 30,000.
- metric measurements.
The specific lessons are:
- representing decimals (up to thousandths, but adaptable for tenths and hundredths)
- decimals place value (up to thousandths, but adaptable for tenths and hundredths)
- addition and subtraction of decimals (up to thousandths, but adaptable for tenths and hundredths)
- representing fractions (parts of a whole, parts of a set)
- representing mixed and improper fractions (and converting back and forth)
- equivalent fractions and simplifying fractions
- converting fractions and decimals (up to thousandths, but adaptable for tenths and hundredths)
- ordering fractions and decimals (up to thousandths, but adaptable for tenths and hundredths, fractions with common denominators or uncommon denominators)
- adding and subtracting fractions
- percent within 100
This resource aligns with:
Alberta Mathematics Curriculum Grade 5 ©2022
- British Columbia Mathematics Curricular Competencies Grade 5
- Saskatchewan Mathematics Curriculum Grade 5 N5.5, N5.6, N5.7
This resource supports:
- any fraction or decimals lessons.
Looking for a different level?
- Decimals and Fractions Interactive Notebook Grade 4
Decimals and Fractions Interactive Notebook Grade 4/5
- Decimals, Ratios, Fractions and Percents Interactive Notebook Grades 5/6
- Decimals and Fractions Interactive Notebook Grade 6
We also have support materials available:
- Alberta Decimals and Fractions Worksheet Bundle Grade 5 (coming soon)
- Alberta Full Year Worksheet Bundle Grade 5 (coming soon)
- British Columbia Decimals and Fractions Worksheet Bundle Grade 5 (coming soon)
- British Columbia Full Year Worksheet Bundle Grade 5 (coming soon)
- Saskatchewan Decimals and Fractions Worksheet Bundle Grade 5 (coming soon)
- Saskatchewan Full Year Worksheet Bundle Grade 5 (coming soon)
Ninja Note: This file is a PDF and requires printing for students to use.Have a question? Before contacting us, check our Frequently Asked Questions page.