Patterns and Algebra Interactive Math Unit | Paper | Grade 3
What if you could have your entire patterns unit planned out for you? Our interactive notebook comes with everything you need to plan, teach, practice, and assess your math class. We give background information and everything you need to explicitly teach concepts for describing patterns, solving for missing digits, equality and much more in your Canadian Grade 3 classroom.
This engaging resource includes:
- instructions for how to set up, assess, and use interactive notebooks. It has a version that doesn’t require cutting and gluing if you’re worried about time.
- complete lesson plans with all the concepts broken down. This is helpful if you need to leave lessons for substitute teachers, your math skills are a little rusty, or the government recently changed the curriculum and didn’t give you any time to learn how to teach it (shout out to Alberta teachers!)
- student template pages. Our templates include versions that require printing, cutting, gluing, and writing as well as versions that just require printing and writing. Alternative versions are included so you can differentiate.
- practice pages (worksheets) to help practice the concepts or to use for formative assessment.
- proof questions that can be used for formative assessment or exit tickets.
- games and activities to help reinforce concepts, to use for early finishers, or just for some math fun.
- unit test pages. There are a variety of levels so it makes it easy for you to modify for your class. These pages are left plain and simple without grades or levels on them to help with student test anxiety.
- alignment guides for Alberta, British Columbia, and Saskatchewan. The list of lessons are aligned to each specific curriculum so it’s easy for teachers to know which lessons to teach and what to highlight in each lesson.
- Canadian spellings.
- SI Notation meaning numbers are written with a space between place value columns instead of a comma. Example 3 000 instead of 3,000.
- metric measurements.
Topics addressed in this unit:
- Equality and inequality
- Missing digits: solving for an unknown number
- Sorting with charts
- Ordinal numbers
- Finite and infinite patterns
- Describing patterns
- Number patterns and sequences
- Pattern rules and pattern cores/terms
- Extending patterns
This resource aligns with:
- Alberta Mathematics Curriculum Grade 3 ©2022
- British Columbia Mathematics Curricular Competencies Grade 3
- Saskatchewan Mathematics Curriculum Grade 3
This resource supports:
- any Canadian Grade 2-5 math class.
- math classes in the Yukon and Northwest Territories (though it recommended you use the province’s curriculum your territory recommends).
Looking for more units?
- This unit and all our Grade 3 units are found in a complete Year Long Bundle. It comes with a bonus sequencing guide to help play your whole year.
- Number Concepts
- Number Operations
- Statistics and Graphing
Time and Measurement
- 2D Shapes and 3D Objects
Looking for a different grade?
- Patterns and Algebra Math Unit Grade 4 (coming soon!)
- Patterns and Algebra Math Unit Grade 4/5 (newly updated!)
- Patterns and Algebra Math Unit Grade 5 (coming soon!)
- Patterns and Algebra Math Unit Grade 5/6 (newly updated!)
- Patterns and Algebra Math Unit Grade 6 (coming soon!)
Or get more materials to support your lessons:
- Alberta Aligned Patterns and Algebra Worksheets Bundle Grade 3
- Alberta Aligned Full Year Math Worksheets Bundle Grade 3
- British Columbia Aligned Patterns and Algebra Worksheets Bundle Grade 3
- British Columbia Aligned Full Year Math Worksheets Bundle Grade 3
- Saskatchewan Aligned Patterns and Algebra Worksheets Bundle Grade 3
- Saskatchewan Aligned Full Year Math Worksheets Bundle Grade 3
Ninja Note: This file is a PDF and requires printing for students to use.
Have a question? Before contacting us, check our Frequently Asked Questions page.