Number Operations Math Interactive Notebook Unit | Paper | Grade 5 Grade 6
Stop searching for your number operations lessons. Everything you need to teach, practice, and assess addition, subtraction, factors and multiples, long multiplication, long division, prime and composite numbers, and order of operations is included in this print-and-use unit. Your planning for your operations unit is already done for you!
This all-inclusive resource includes:
- instructions for how to set up, assess, and use interactive notebooks. It has a version that doesn’t require cutting and gluing if you’re worried about time or fine motor skills.
- complete lesson plans with all the concepts broken down. This is helpful if you need to leave lessons for substitute teachers, your math skills are a little rusty, or the government changed the curriculum and didn’t give you any time to learn how to teach it (shout out to Alberta teachers!)
- student template pages. Our templates include versions that require printing, cutting, gluing, and writing as well as versions that just require printing and writing. Alternative versions are included so you can differentiate.
- practice pages (worksheets) to help practice the concepts or to use for formative assessment.
- proof questions that can be used for formative assessment or exit tickets.
- games and activities to help reinforce concepts, to use for early finishers, or just for some math fun.
- unit test pages. There are a variety of levels so it makes it easy for you to modify for your class. These pages are left plain and simple without grades or levels on them to help with student test anxiety.
- alignment guides for Alberta, British Columbia, and Saskatchewan. Lessons are aligned to each specific curriculum so it’s easy for teachers to know which lessons to teach and what to highlight in each lesson.
- Canadian spellings.
- SI Notation, meaning numbers are written with a space between place value columns instead of a comma. Example 30 000 instead of 30,000.
- metric measurements.
The specific lessons are:
- Mental Math Strategies for all four operations.
- Addition Strategies (with and without regrouping) numbers within ten thousand.
- Subtraction Strategies (with and without regrouping) numbers within ten thousand.
- multiples, skip counting and how they are related.
- prime numbers and composite numbers.
- Long Multiplication Strategies (2x1 digit, 3x1 digit).
- Long Division Strategies (2x1 digit, 3x1 digit with and without remainders).
- Estimation Strategies for all four operations.
- Order or Operations with all four operations and without brackets or parentheses.
This resource aligns with:
- Alberta Mathematics Curriculum Grade 5 ©2022
- Alberta Mathematics Curriculum Grade 6 ©2022
- British Columbia Mathematics Curricular Competencies Grade 5
- British Columbia Mathematics Curricular Competencies Grade 6
- Saskatchewan Mathematics Curriculum Grade 5 N5.2, N5.3, N5.4
- Saskatchewan Mathematics Curriculum Grade 6 N6.2, N6.3
This resource supports:
- any Canadian Grade 5-6 math class.
- math classes in the Yukon and Northwest Territories (though it recommended you use the province’s curriculum your territory recommends).
Looking for a different level?
Ninja Note: If you teach Grade 5 and already own our Grade 4/5 version, there is no new content in this package for you. If you teach Grade 5 and are trying to decide between this one and the Grade 4/5 set, think about whether your students need more reinforcement (choose Grade 4/5) or enrichment (choose Grade 5/6).
Ninja Note: This resource requires printing for students to use.
Have a question? Before contacting us, check our Frequently Asked Questions page.