Chemistry STEM Challenges | Paper and Digital
Challenge your students to show you what they have learned about chemistry with these open-ended problem-solving challenges for properties of chemical and physical reactions that you can do safely in your classroom as independent tasks or science stations.
This resource is included in our Grade 5 Alberta Science Bundle. This resource is part of our Chemistry Bundle.
This hands-on resource includes:
- instructions for setting up your classroom for the challenges.
- a shopping list of possible materials.
- teacher instructions for each challenge with hints for making modifications for your students.
- student instructions for each challenge.
- student planning pages (for individuals and groups).
- student self-assessment pages (for individuals and groups).
- a marking guide (rubric).
- hints and examples for the challenges.
- opportunities to experiment safely using the scientific method.
a digital version of all the student pages. This version has loose text which can be read by assistive technology.
The "answers" to the challenges are not included as these tasks are meant to focus on the process, not the "answer." We have included suggestions and hints about what you might expect.
These tasks require students to have access to several household products to use for experimenting. They are everyday items you might find in your kitchen or cleaning cupboard. This resource has been classroom-tested with several groups of fifth-grade students. It kept them VERY busy and challenged them.
This resource aligns with:
- the Alberta Program of Studies Grade 5 Classroom Chemistry
This resource supports:
- any basic chemistry unit.
Ninja Note: This file is a PDF. To print or access the digital version, download the file.
Have a question? Before contacting us, check our Frequently Asked Questions page.