Alberta Regions Project Bundle | Paper and Digital
This project-based learning activity guides students through the diverse geographical regions of Alberta. These activities require only moments to prep. Students are challenged to research the different Alberta regions, but everything teachers need is included such as background knowledge for teachers and a student reading passage for each region.
The regions included are Foothills, Grasslands, Parkland, Canadian Shield, Rocky Mountains, and Boreal Forest.
The Alberta Regions Research Project includes:
- a mapping lesson plan to learn the different regions of Alberta.
- a student-created booklet that shows the different landforms for each region and gives students the chance to learn some of the basic similarities and differences of the regions.
- an Alberta map with an answer key showing the regions.
- five project-based learning projects that students can choose from. These projects further deepen your students' understanding of the regions by creating a project and presenting it to the class. The five different projects to choose from are a poster, eBook, pamphlet, 3D Cube, and magazine cover.
- a detailed lesson plan for project-based learning.
- background information for the teacher.
- student planning pages.
- assessment rubrics for the projects.
- self-assessment opportunities for students.
- tips and tricks for setting up project-based learning in your classroom
- an art project that wraps up the unit. Students explore a variety of art mediums to show what they have learned about the different landscapes and geography of Alberta.
- photographs of student examples.
- modifications are included within the lesson plans to help you differentiate without spending more of your time preparing the activities.
- advice from our students.
- a short quiz about the regions of Alberta with an answer key.
These projects have been tested several times by various groups of students and they are enjoyed every year!
Ninja Note: Each activity is a separate piece. They work together, but they can be done consecutively or you can pick and choose the ones that work best for you.
The Alberta Regions Reading Passages include:
- six reading passages designed for grade four independent reading about each of Alberta's six geographical regions.
- text features such as bolded words, text boxes, maps, captions, photographs, tables, and charts.
- instructions on ways to use the read materials to support your social studies programs.
- a set of cover pages for each region for the paper version.
- instructions on ways to use the reading passages as paper pages or digitally. To use the digital version you will need to download the PDF and click on the link on the How to Use This Product page.
The Alberta Regions Collaborative Posters Activity includes:
- 7 collaborative poster sets. One is an overview of Alberta's geographical regions. The other six are each specific region.
- directions to run the activity with your students starting with an overview of the six regions and following up with the six individual regions.
- each set has 18, 24, or 36 pieces so you can use them with any size class.
- simple instructions for your students so they know how their piece fits into each poster.
- pieces with different levels of detail so you can give the right piece to each student.
- assembly instructions along with tips for making the process as easy as possible.
These activities align with:
- the Alberta Program of Studies Grade 4 Social Studies
Ninja Note: This file is a ZIP file. It contains all the PDF files that contain each unit. Buyers need to download the ZIP and extract the PDF files to a computer. To access the digital version, download the PDF and use the link in that file.
Have a question? Before contacting us, check our Frequently Asked Questions page.