Alberta Regions Research Project Based Learning | Paper
This unit was designed to learn about the diverse geographical regions of Alberta through a variety of activities that require only moments to prep. Students are challenged to research the different Alberta regions, but everything teachers need is included.
The regions included are Foothills, Grasslands, Parkland, Canadian Shield, Rocky Mountains, and Boreal Forest.
This product is part of our Grade 4 Social Studies Bundle.
It is also part of our Alberta Regions Project Bundle.
This hands-on product includes:
- a mapping lesson plan to learn the different regions of Alberta.
- a student-created booklet that shows the different landforms for each region and gives students the chance to learn some of the basic similarities and differences of the regions.
- an Alberta map with an answer key showing the regions.
- five project-based learning projects that students can choose from. These projects further deepen your students' understanding of the regions by creating a project and presenting it to the class. The five different projects to choose from are a poster, eBook, pamphlet, 3D Cube, and magazine covers.
- a detailed lesson plan for project-based learning.
- background information for the teacher.
- student planning pages.
- assessment rubrics for the projects.
- self-assessment opportunities for students.
- tips and tricks for setting up project-based learning in your classroom
- an art project that wraps up the unit. Students explore a variety of art mediums to show what they have learned about the different landscapes and geography of Alberta.
- photographs of student examples.
- modifications are included within the lesson plans to help you differentiate without spending more of your time preparing the activities.
- advice from our students.
- a short quiz about the regions of Alberta with an answer key.
These projects have been tested several times by various groups of students and they are enjoyed every year!
Ninja Note: Each activity is a separate piece. They work together, but they can be done consecutively or you can pick and choose the ones that work best for you.
These activities align with:
- the Alberta Program of Studies Grade 4 Social Studies
Ninja Note: This file is a PDF and requires printing for students to use.
Have a question? Before contacting us, check our Frequently Asked Questions page.