Weather Lessons | Design a Weather Instrument | Paper and Digital
Challenge your students to show you what they have learned about measuring weather by designing and building a device that measures at least two different weather phenomena. This critical thinking STEM activity is a great way to start or finish your weather unit as it takes minimal prep with lots of engagement.
This resource is included in our Grade 5 Alberta Science Bundle. It is also part of our Weather Bundle.
This hands-on resource includes:
- teacher instructions.
- student task pages.
- student planning pages (for individuals and groups).
- self-assessment pages (for individuals and groups).
- hints for marking strategies are included with examples
- rubrics and reflection pages.
- suggestions for creating devices.
- weather instruments handout (with metric or customary measurements)
- short quiz with answer key.
- a digital version with loose text that can be read by assistive technology.
This resource aligns with:
- Alberta Program of Studies Grade 5 Science Weather Watch
This resource supports:
- any weather unit.
Ninja Note: To access the digital version, download the PDF and use the link in that file.
Have a question? Before contacting us, check our Frequently Asked Questions page.