Homestead Life Drama Circle | Paper
This drama circle teaches students about homesteaders who settled in the prairie provinces. It discusses the journeys the pioneers of Alberta and Saskatchewan made to get to their "free" land and the challenges they dealt with becoming farmers on land not ready for farming. This activity talks about how Indigenous People in Canada were pushed off the land by the government to make way for the new settlers.
This engaging activity includes:
- directions for how to run a drama circle.
- a teacher quick guide.
- a set of 40 cards (in colour and ink-saving).
- a set of discussion questions to do after the activity to enhance comprehension and engagement.
This activity aligns with:
- Alberta Program of Studies for Grade 4
This activity supports:
- any lesson about settlers settling the west or prairies in Canada
The cards contain a reading level for Grade 4+, so be sure you know your students well. Cards contain different amounts of text, so you can differentiate for your students.
Ninja Note: This product requires the buyer to download the PDF, print the cards, and cut them apart before beginning the activity.
Have a question? Before contacting us, check our Frequently Asked Questions page.