Plant Growth and Changes | Experiments | Paper and Digital
Use these experiments to show students how plants grow and change while they learn the needs of plants. These lessons require very little setup, but you will need lots of plants. They are a great way to give your students hands-on experience with observations and the scientific method.
This hands-on resource comes with:
- a complete lesson plan to learn about experimenting and variables.
- student pages in a variety of formats.
- answer keys and suggested answers.
- over twenty-five possible experiments that test light conditions, temperature conditions, water/moisture conditions, and how leaves impact plants.
- signage for each experiment so no one moves your experiment.
- photographs of some of the experiments.
- shopping list of materials (mainly access to plants and containers)
- marking guide.
- student self-assessments
Ninja Note: This resource requires access to plants. Some of the experiments can be done with plants you might have around your schoolyard, but if you get your hands on a tray or two of bedding plants your students will be able to complete more of the experiments. If you do not have access to plants, this is not the right resource for you.
Ninja Note: This resource requires some experiments to run over several weeks or even months. The actual work time for students is about two hours over two months.
This resource aligns with:
- Alberta Program of Studies Grade 4 Science Plant Growth and Changes
This resource supports:
- any basic plant unit.
- Saskatchewan Science Curriculum Grade 3 Plant Growth and Changes PL3.1 PL3.2
- Ontario Science Curriculum Grade 3 Growth and Changes in Plants
Ninja Note: To access the digital version of this file, download the PDF and click on the access link in that file.
Have a question? Before contacting us, check our Frequently Asked Questions page.