Canada Regions Research Projects | Paper
This set of activities helps students understand Canada's geographical regions. Everything you need to teach this unit is included. Lesson plans, student pages, and details for five different projects are ready to use as soon as you print them. We've even provided teacher background information in case you don't have time to learn it before starting. This will keep your kids busy learning for weeks!
This hands-on set of lessons includes:
- Interior Plains, Arctic, Atlantic, Great Lakes & St. Lawrence Lowlands, Cordillera, and the Canadian Shield. This is based on the resources we have available in our school. Most of the activities can still work if you use different regions (except the map and the cube activity).
- a map lesson to learn the different regions of Canada.
- an interactive notebook template lesson to learn the different landforms for each region. This gives students the chance to learn some of the basic similarities and differences of the regions before starting on their projects.
- five different project-based learning activities for students to choose from. These projects further deepen the understanding of the regions. Students create a project and present it. Some of the projects can be done digitally.
- suggestions for how to do project-based learning in your classroom.
- background information about each region for the teacher.
- assessment rubrics.
- self-assessment opportunities for students.
- an art project that wraps up the unit.
- modifications to help you differentiate without spending more of your time.
- photographs of student examples.
- checklists for each project.
- advice from our students.
- the ability to pick and choose so it can work in your classroom.
These projects have been tested several times by various groups of students and they are enjoyed every year!
Ninja Note: While some of the projects can be done digitally, these activities are designed for a hands-on approach.
These activities align with:
- the Alberta Program of Studies Grade 5 Social Studies.
These activities support:
- any unit about Canada's geographical regions.
Ninja Note: This file is a PDF and requires printing for students to use.
Have a question? Before contacting us, check our Frequently Asked Questions page.