Astronomy Basic Concepts | Space | Sky Science | Paper and Digital
Learn the basics of the universe, the Solar System, and how astronomy has been used by different cultures with these activities that only take minutes to prepare. Everything you need to teach these concepts is included along with background knowledge in case you're new to teaching space or astronomy.
This engaging product includes:
- seven complete lesson plans with suggestions for differentiation.
- student pages and templates.
- digital versions for most of the student activities. There are some hands-on/in-person activities that are not digital. The digital versions include loose text that can be read by assistive technologies.
- answer keys and suggested answers.
- opportunities to extend learning.
- astronomy and astrology (scientific and unscientific statements), how astronomy has been used by different cultures throughout history, light-emitting and reflecting, objects in the Universe, objects in the Solar System, stars, astronomy, and time (day/night, seasons).
- Canadian spellings and metric measurements. This includes SI Notation on numbers (so 39 000 instead of 39,000)
This set of lessons is an overview. It does not go deeply into each concept. We have additional lessons that enhance each topic.
- The Moon (includes Phases of the Moon)
- Space Travel and Exploration Perspectives
- Design Challenges
- Word Wall Words
- Grab it all for a discount with the bundle!
Connect your space unit and language arts with our weekly reader series:
- Canadian Space Tales (this is the bundle of all five weeks)
- Canadian Astronauts
- Constellations (try this one for free)
- Canadian Space Technology
- Space Junk
These lessons align with:
- the Alberta Program of Studies for Grade 6 Sky Science
These lessons support:
- any astronomy unit.
Ninja Note: To access the digital version, download the PDF and use the link in that file.
Have a question? Before contacting us, check our Frequently Asked Questions page.